- No Limits, Why the NYT is Wrong About the Core Demographic of Women’s Soccer
- Match of the Week: Portland Timbers vs. Real Salt Lake
- 5 Minutes to Kickoff Episode #82
- Match Preview: Houston & Philly Look to Turn Things Around
- Premier League Weekend Preview: Races Up and Down the Table
- Women’s Football Podcast Episode 20: Let the Games Begin
- Union Recap: Red Bulls Travel Through Open Space For 2-1 Win
- Red & Blue Hate Yellow: S3, EP. 7
- Shots on Goal: Washington Spirit vs Western New York Flash
- Arsenal 3-1 West Ham: Gunners Back in Top Four, For Now
MLS Registers NYCFC.com Domain
- Updated: May 6, 2013
It would seem MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s imminent announcement on the league’s 20th team has taken another step forward. Back in September, I reported that Major League Soccer had trademarked the names Empire FC and City FC. Well, the league has now apparently chosen NYC2′s name: NYC FC. Perhaps to go along with the ‘City FC’ monicker, Major League Soccer registered the domain, NYCFC.com as show below.
With rumors swirling that Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour, a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family, is the the man fronting the $100 million dollar buy in for NYC2, the domain registry is just another confirmation that things are finally moving forward. Add Garber saying an announcement could be made in just 4-6 weeks, a timeframe that sees Manchester City coming to the Big Apple for a friendly, and it’s practically a forgone conclusion.
Mansour would not just be footing the bill for the initial buy in, but also the $340 million stadium plan based in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, as well as the cost for training facilities and talent. With Mansour the likely buyer, Garber also hopes to finalize the stadium plan as soon as possible.
Stay tuned to the Soccer Desk as the announcement gets closer.
(Thanks to theoffsiderules.com for the picture)