- Shots on Goal: Washington Spirit Training: July 27th, 2014
- Boston Breaks Western New York
- MLS Week(end) Rewind: SKC Tops TFC, Timbers Strike Late
- The MLS All-Snub Team: 10 or So Guys Who Should’ve Been Picked
- Shots on Goal: Western New York Flash vs Boston Breakers
- Shots on Goal: Washington Spirit vs Portland Thorns
- Playoff Battle Continues as the Thorns Draw the Spirit 1-1
- Frank Lampard Officially Becomes NYCFC’s Fourth Signing
- Women’s World Cup Qualifying Will Take Place in KC, DC, Chicago, and Philly
- 2014 MLS All-Star Jersey a Tribute to the Rose City
MLS Registers NYCFC.com Domain
- Updated: May 6, 2013
It would seem MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s imminent announcement on the league’s 20th team has taken another step forward. Back in September, I reported that Major League Soccer had trademarked the names Empire FC and City FC. Well, the league has now apparently chosen NYC2′s name: NYC FC. Perhaps to go along with the ‘City FC’ monicker, Major League Soccer registered the domain, NYCFC.com as show below.
With rumors swirling that Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour, a member of the Abu Dhabi royal family, is the the man fronting the $100 million dollar buy in for NYC2, the domain registry is just another confirmation that things are finally moving forward. Add Garber saying an announcement could be made in just 4-6 weeks, a timeframe that sees Manchester City coming to the Big Apple for a friendly, and it’s practically a forgone conclusion.
Mansour would not just be footing the bill for the initial buy in, but also the $340 million stadium plan based in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, as well as the cost for training facilities and talent. With Mansour the likely buyer, Garber also hopes to finalize the stadium plan as soon as possible.
Stay tuned to the Soccer Desk as the announcement gets closer.
(Thanks to theoffsiderules.com for the picture)