- Canberra United 2014 Grand Champions
- W-League Post-Season: Perth & Melbourne advance to Grand Final
- W-League Week Twelve Review: Onto the Semi-Finals
- Florida State Wins Title 1-0 over Virginia
- Virginia Punches Ticket to First College Cup Final
- W-League Week Eleven Review: The Fight for Finals
- Elite Eight Bound: Florida, Florida State, South Carolina & Stanford
- W-League Week Eleven Review: Melbourne Set to Defend Title
- Texas A&M and Penn State Advance to Elite Eight
- Sweet 16: Penn St., Virginia Tech, Notre Dame and Texas A&M
Au Revoir Lyon: Rapinoe Will Play Full NWSL Season with Seattle
- Updated: January 20, 2014
Laura Harvey must be one happy camper. After making some big pickups during the 2014 NWSL College Draft this past Friday in Philadelphia, the Reign’s 2014 season is already looking a whole lot better than 2013. Megan Rapinoe will play a full NWSL season in a Reign jersey. SB Nation blog, Sounder at Heart, broke the news earlier today that the 28 year old wing back had terminated her contract with French side Olympique Lyon.
While Rapinoe was on the roster for the Reign from day one of the inaugural NWSL season, her commitment to Lyon prevented her from playing a full season. Between Hope Solo being injured for the start of the season and Rapinoe playing in France, Seattle did not have a very good first half. Still, when she finally did come to play in the newly formed league, Rapinoe led the club with five goals in only 12 appearances.
The news was not entirely unexpected as her minutes on the field for Lyon had declined in recent months. Following Lyon’s elimination from the Champions League Rapinoe was even relegated to the reserves team, playing with girls several years younger than herself. This weekend Rapinoe sat on the bench as PSG beat Lyon 1-0 and ended an 87 game unbeaten streak for Lyon.
“I am grateful to Lyon for the opportunity they provided me and I will certainly miss all of my teammates and coaches in France,”Rapinoe said in a press release. “I am excited to return to Seattle and play for an entire NWSL season.”
Rapinoe will join newly drafted teammates Amanda Frisbie (7), Megan Brigman (17) and Ellen Parker (30), as well as USWNT teammate Hope Solo, who is also hoping to play a full season for the Reign.
Keep it locked onto TSD for all of your NWSL offseason news!